OKCAD began in 1944 as a social club for the growing Deaf population who flocked to Oklahoma City from the rural areas during World War II in search of employment. In the early days the club was known as the Silent Club and officially changed it's name to Oklahoma City Association of the Deaf in 1951. For years OKCAD did not have a permanent home, moving from location to location until settling down permanently in 1976 at its current location on Classen and 15th Street. OKCAD is the only club owned by and for the Deaf in Oklahoma and one of the few remaining Deaf Clubs in America still in operation.
OKCAD's mission statement:
"To promote the welfare of the deaf and to advance
educational, vocational and social interests of the deaf."